Quick recap of hair history:
Relaxed hair for over 10 years.
Natural from 2007-2010
Relaxed hair again from 2010-2011; then switched to an alkaline hair softener treatment instead, thinking it would be less harsh.
2011-2012: Attempted to transition but my hair was breaking.
Big chop 1: December 29th, 2012
Big chop 2: May 26th, 2013
About my hair: Curl pattern: 4A, 4B Porosity: Low Density: High Width: Coarse My hair seems to be growing well, after this second big chop. However, my hair, to me, felt dry. Dry but not brittle. When I tug my hair, it doesn’t break mid-shaft. When my hair does come out, the full follicle with the white bulb, comes out. Therefore in addition to going back to using heat with my hour long deep conditioning treatment; I use a blow dryer and move it around my head, I’m adding a pre-poo.
Documenting this regiment do I can keep track of any improvements to my hair or no changes.
1. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2. Avocado Oil
3. Giovanni Deeper Moisture Conditioner
*Left this on for an hour, with a plastic cap on.
Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat Shampoo – A clarifying shampoo. It was time for my monthly clarifying wash.
Deep Conditioning Treatment
Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque with Extra Virgin Olive oil mixed in.
* Left this on for an hour, with plastic cap on. Applied heat using a regular blow dryer, every 15 minutes or so.
Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat Conditioner – The accompanying conditioner to the shampoo. I use both together always.
Rinse out the deep condition treatment with a little of regular conditioner. Then applied regular conditioner all over, wait about 5 minutes, and rinse out with cool water.
After wash and condition
1. Giovanni Direct Leave-In Weightless Moisture – Rubbed into my hair. Excess soaked up/wiped off. In the future, I’ll use less, diluted with water, so it will absorb better. Then, I’ll apply more light coats as needed.
2. Next, I applied Mega Care: Grape Seed Oil. Ingredients(in order): grape seed oil, sweet almond oil, olive oil, sunflower oil, castor oil, wheat germ oil, tocopherol(Vitamin E), fragrance. I applied two light coats.
3. Finally, I applied Taliah Waajid Curly Curl Cream. I took a small amount, and applied to small sections, raking/smoothing it down my hair.
4. Once finished with this process, I apply a bit of castor oil to my scalp.
Overall, my hair feels good do far. It doesn’t feel rough dry. In fact, after I finished washing my hair, it didn’t have the usual rough feeling afterwards. That feeling lets me know that not a lot of water didn’t get into my hair follicle: low porosity. My scalp is slightly itchy from me using jojoba oil again, last week. I’ve officially crossed that off my list, I think, since it has made my scalp itch again.
This will be my clarifying/regular weekly regiment. The regular regiment uses a different shampoo/conditioner. I’ll also create a mid-week wash regiment, since I work out 3-4 times a week and low porosity hair is susceptible to build up.
. Fingers crossed this works out for my hair in the long run.